Ask a Urologist   »  

Back pain, taken epidural injection with no relief. History of spinal fusion, Betolotti's syndrome. Interstitial cyst?

Was hospitalized in XXXXXXX for pain believed to me bladder/urethral in nature along with severe back pain. I have history of L4-L5 spinal fusion 3 yrs ago and also have Bertolotti's syndrome with partial sacralization on the left. I now also have a mild disk bulge at L3-L4. While in hospital I had urological workup including urinalysis and hydro distension of bladder. No evidence of interstitial cystitis. Had vaginal ultrasound which was also negative. I had epidural injection at L3 with no relief. Then had a left lumbar facet injection with minimal short term relief. Now scheduled for injection at L5-S1 where Bertolotti's defect is.
Had pap test done on 8/3 and now having same uro/back pain symptoms. Could this be interstitial cystitis even though hydro test was negative and I currently am not experiencing freq/urgency or is this all related to back condition and possibly pudendal nerve? Tired of being tossed back & forth between urologist, gynecologist, & neuro and still experiencing alot pubic pain when sitting.

Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 17 hours later
Thanks for your query
Interstitial cystitis is occasionally a diagnosis of exclusion, if no other definitive cause for symptoms is found.
I need to know your current symptoms, ultrasound and urinalysis report.
If you don't have frequency/urgency, it is unlikely that interstitial cystitis is your problem.

I hope i have answered your query.
I will be happy to answer any other queries that you may have.
Dr Vineet Malhotra
Follow-up: Back pain, taken epidural injection with no relief. History of spinal fusion, Betolotti's syndrome. Interstitial cyst? 5 hours later
I don't have access to the ultrasound report or urinalysis results. They were reviewed with me in the Dr's office and there were no clinical findings. My current symptoms are low back/sacral pain, intermittent tingeling in back & (and sometimes front)of both thighs, left foot feels like someone is always gently squeezing it and big toe hurts. I also have pain in crease between thigh and groin area that radiates to pubic bone/vaginal area. It hurts more when sitting but is always there. Gyno & Uro workups were negative so I'm back with neuro & pain management. Pain manangement dr feels issues may be resulting from the partial sacralization on the left at L5? Am I seeing the right Dr?
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 5 hours later
Thanks for your response,

Your symptoms are suggestive of a neurological origin of pain. I believe your pain specialist/neurologist/orthopaedician should be able to help you with the problem.

The symptoms do not seem to have any urological origin.

I hope i have answered your query and will be glad to answer any further queries that you may have.
Dr Vineet Malhotra