Ask a Urologist   »  

Back pain, stabilized HIV, toilet paper-like particles in urine, no swelling or itching. BUN and creatinine high

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
47 old white male, HIV since 1991, currently stabilized with t-cells 550, undetectable VL, both BUN and Creatinine slightly high both 1 point over normal. Pain in back. However, do have moderate disc degeneration, herniated disc, etc. Also, height 5'6 weight 216 but DEXA scan shows 9 % bodyfat as workout intensely 5 times week doing conditioning and resistance exercise. Urinating normal sometimes wake up once at night sometimes no. Particles look like toilet paper in urine. Just did creatinine clearance waiting for results. Dropped off yesterday. No swelling anywhere, urine slightly yellow or clearish as drink about gallon of water mixed with 2 lemons daily. No pain or itching or burning with urination.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

The question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on. I have to say that only with a mild elevation of your kidney tests this should not cause you a significant degree of back pain.

Regarding the changes you have noticed in your urine this may be only a transient type of phenomenon. A couple of considerations in this case may include the possible influence of some of your medications. Sometimes there may be a slight injury to the kidneys related to medication dosing Orkiney.

It is certainly important that you have this fully investigated. At some point you may benefit from a consultation by a nephrologist. If your kidney function remains abnormal or elevated our laboratory tests are sometimes it may become necessary to perform a kidney biopsy. A kidney biopsy is a relatively routine procedure performed by interventional radiologists. In this procedure a tiny sample of the kidney tissue is obtained and then panelized under a microscope by A trained pathologist This might help if your physicians in further understanding what exactly might be going on.

One other consideration might be a kidney stone. Kidney stones can cause back pain and sometimes can cause some sediment in the urine. Your doctors would see her abnormalities in your urinalysis that would indicate the possibility of a kidney stone such as blood cells in the urine.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response and considerations to be helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address those here.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert