Back pain, sleeplessness, cannot turn over in bed. What can I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
lower back painI'm having painful back pains in my lower back that are keeping me from sleeping and also from turning ove while in bed what can i do?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later

Low Back Pain which is causing restriction of your activities can happen due to-
Nerve root syndromes- produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration.
Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.
• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis.
• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning.
• Renal stone.

You need to consult your orthopedician for investigations like MRI of spine for proper diagnosis.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.