Back pain, right shoulder and buttock pain, unable to sit continuously

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I cant sit continuously on floor, my back bone, right shoulder and seat pains, suggestions required...

1) What is your age and occupation?
29, software engineer
2) Were you hurt before the problem started?
No where
3) How long you have this problem for?
From 6yrs
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 16 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.

Six years is a long time and very inappropriate for your age to have back problem. So its high time you find out the cause of this pain. You have not mentioned a lot besides you are sitting on floor and that you never got hurt. In that case sitting on floor itself can be a reason unless you sit on a cushion. There could be other things like lack of exercises, sudden jerks while travelling, lifting heavy objects or excessive bending forwards that cause back pain. So try to analyse the causes in your day to day living.

If you think after all precautions you still have it then you need to be clinically examined by an orthopaedician. One needs to see if you have developmental anomaly of spine/shoulder, is your walking gait normal, the amount of movement the spine allows, your reflexes and so on. It might be necessary for you to undergo investigations like total blood count, ESR, CRP, Xray and unlikely but an MRI of spine.

Once a definite diagnosis is achieved medications can be given. Till then I advise you do the following-
1. Maintain a good posture all the time. Sit on a chair or couch and not on bare floor.
2. Do not lift heavy weights especially while bending forward.
3. Try to change the mattress on which you rest. A firm one is preferable. Avoid using a pillow.
4. Go to a physiotherapist for back and shoulder strengthening exercises and local ultrasonics.
5. Use of local Take frequent stretch breaks if you work on computers.

These shall work for now. Let me know if you have more to ask, I'm available for follow up.
Good luck.