Ask a Homeopath   »  

Back pain problem due to slip disc in L4, L5. Suggestions on Yoga to strengthen the muscles.

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist
Hi Doctor,

I used to have back pain problem due to slip disc in L4 & L5 ligaments. Now it has been cured to XXXXXXX 90%. I used to use Homeopathy & Naturopathy to solve the problem with frequents visits to Psychotherapy.

Well, now I thought to give and strengthen the muscles around my waist, thighs, calf, and legs so that the problem may not come or attack me when my lower back muscles are strong. So I thought to go for Yoga.

Therefore can you please help me out in yoga sessions

My Mobile No: 0000

Best Regards,
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Yoga
Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 5 days later

Having gone through the explanation you have taken appropriate steps overcome your back pain. Unarguably this has helped you to solve your back pain problem by about 90%.

I completely agree that you have to start looking into strengthening your back muscles, abdomen muscles, ligaments and joints to prevent any further recurrence of the same problem.

Please do keep in mind that, not just yoga practice is sufficient for prevention of the problem – you also need to address the posture in which you are sitting, working and other activities so that there is no extra strain on your back muscles. Along with this you also need to address any stress occurring in your day-to-day living either professional or personnel. Yoga will address all these concerns.

At the same time, you also need to do the yoga practice very regularly for about 5 – 6 times a week. Each day’s practice should last at least 45 – 60 minutes. The practice should address Yoga postures, Basic breathing exercises & Relaxation techniques. This will also help you to overcome that residual 10% back pain you are suffering from.

The asanas and yogic learnings are tailor made to suit to one's requirements. I cannot tell you one single asana or posture that can help you. I suggest you may please approach any qualified yoga physician in your nearby place and have a consultation done along with all your investigative reports. Based on the assessment of the same, Yoga physician would be able to guide you to do specific Yoga postures and practices to prevent the same problem from recurring. Please make sure you approach the right person as there are lot of unqualified quacks who could misguide you.

I hope to have answered your query to the best possible extent. In case if you still have any clarifications, you may always reply back without any hesitation.

With best wishes,