Back pain, pain in ribs, moves to elbow after a c-section and open heart surgery to remove artrial myxoma. Related?

Hi, ive been having a sharb stabbing pain in my lower left rib area. I can feel the tenderness when i feel my ribs below my breast and it also hurts when i inhale. I also have a back pain in my right lower shoulder blade area that sometimes travels to the front area right above my breast and or my right elbow. The pain is not consistent it comes and it goes. At first i thought it was gas being that i can feel like gurgling or wheezing in the rib area when i lay down. But i have taken gas meds and the pain is still there. A couple of weeks ago i had an emergency c section and delived my baby at 25wks. then 1 week after that i had open heart surgery to remove a left atrial myxoma....could this be related? When i went to my cardiologist last week i told him about the wheezing i was feeling but he said not to worry because my heart was perfectly fine. Please help me figure out what this is!
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Your symptoms are likely to be due to a minor chest infection most likely viral in origin.

You may have viral bronchitis or pneumonitis.

Your pain may be caused by PLEURISY, an irritation of the lining of the lung that is usually caused by a viral infection. Hard coughing may also cause pain in the muscles and chest wall. Drink plenty of fluids, and try cold medicines and/or anti-inflammatory medicines to relieve your symptoms.

Doing a steam inhalation thrice daily with few drops of eucalyptus oil added to the water will help in relieving your symptoms. You can also supplement your diet with a high dose of vitamin C.

See your doctor if the pain continues for more than a few days or if you develop a fever.

No I do not think that the pain and your surgery are related.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.