Back pain, neck pain, stiffness in neck and stomach. Taking Nitrocontin. Normal ECG. Can you please explain if it is fine?

My mother aged 67 years..she had gastric related problems for thwe past 1 week and is taking tablets for the same. and back pain, neck pain etc..and stiffness in neck and stomach..From today doctor advised to take niticorntin 2.6 daily for 15 days..ECG is normnal..can you please explain if its fine?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 18 minutes later

You wrote that your mother was prescribed niticorntin. Did you mean Nitrocontin (note spelling difference)? Perhaps there are 2 alternative ways to spell this.

Regardless, this is a nitrate, which is intended to relieve angina. Angina is pain coming from the heart due to inadequate blood supply through the coronary arteries. Thus, one would presume that the prescription was issued to treat heart disease. However, another possibility exists. Nitrates are sometimes used to treat spasms of the esophagus, even in the absence of heart disease. So with your report of "gastric problems," this might be the case.

Regarding safety, the drug is safe as long as it does not drop blood pressure. Common side effects include flushing of the face or neck and headaches.

I Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.