Back pain, nausea, swelling in leg, kidney infection, taking rocephin and cipro. Should be concerned about swelling?

i went a week ago to er for lower left back pain and nausea and was given rocephin iv for kidney infection and a prescription for cipro, since then my legs have started swelling especially the left leg, i have gained 6 pounds. should i be concerned with this fluid? I am a female, age 55, weight was 184 now 190 in just 1 week
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 25 minutes later

Your symptoms could be suggestive of Kidney disease.

If the kidneys are not functioning properly they are not able to elliminate enough water and sodium from the blood which increases pressure in the blood vessels leading to edema.(swelling).

The swelling mostly presents in the legs and around eyes.

You require immediate clinical examination along with investigations as Kidney Function tests and USG scan which will help in knowing how the kidneys are functioning and also to rule out the exact cause.

Consider visiting a Physician earliest for evaluation and please do not ignore it.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.