Back pain, leaning to one side, scoliosis, rehab therapy. Reason?

I appreciate your time and concern. Beginning of 2010, I felt a dull pain, left lower back, especially when I'd go lay in bed. The pain got worse then around March while standing in front of a full view mirror, I noticed that I leaned slightly to one side. Within weeks thereafter, I'd have to hold onto the wall, a counter top, something in order to regain some degree of uprightness so I could walk about. X-rays found minor scoliosis. I never had scoliosis. I was recruited by the army and stayed for my full 20 years. Doctors too are puzzled seeing why do I lean so much than the scoliosis suggests. A week ago, I returned to rehab therapy. Prior to the rehab, I went to a doctor who believes that certain back problems can be fixed by stretching and strengthening those problematic muscles. I feel that there is improvement. I am very thankful. However, as with earlier doctors that I've seen, neither the current physician nor physical therapist can address what may have caused certain back muscles and lumbar spine to have made me lean in excess and so quickly that affected my ability to walk normally. There must be an answer or multiple of conditions that have caused me to lean in excess. Can someone here have an answer, even an idea is fine. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Your symptoms are quite unique.
Changes in body posture can occur due to multiple reasons.

It can be due to problems related to spine such as
1. Imbalance of Muscle Power on either side - Not commonly seen in clinical practice.
2. Degeneration of spine with compression on one side which can aggravate the side wards bending.

It can also occur due to problems related to hip. If there is difficulty in wight bearing of hip, this can bending to either side.

Thridly, it can occur if there is weakness of muscles of the hip and buttocks. To compensate for the weakness, there can be sideward bending.

In your case, its difficult to find out the exact cause without any investigations.
A MRI scan of the lower spine will be helpful.
X rays can be done to look for any bony abnormalities.

You should continue with your physiotherapy as it helps in cases where no cause is ascertained.

Hope this answers your query. Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr Kiran.