Back pain just above buttocks, increased thirst, frequent urination. Causes?

I have a pain that started two days ago in my right side back in teh buttocks and just above. I have also noticed a spike in my liquid intake, milk oj and water, always thirsty. I am frequently urinating even waking up three or four times during teh night to go to teh bathroom and drink a glass of water
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

From your symptoms, first of all it is important to rule out diabetes mellitus. Frequent infections, increased urination or polydypsia, fluctuation in weight and constant tiredness-they all point towards possibility of diabetes mellitus.Please get your blood sugar evaluated and also get your HbA1c levels checked.
Other than that, prostatic hypertrophy and kidney causes like kidney obstruction and kidney infections can also cause such symptoms. Get your PSA (prostatic specific antigen) and renal function tests also done.

If diabetes is confirmed then you may need antihyperglycemic drugs.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.