Back pain, joint pain, fever, chills, upset stomach, headaches, on salonpas medication. Treatment ?

My girlfriend has back and joint pain, She is 33 and has never had these symptoms before. She lives in Indonesia and is hesitant to see a doctor
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Repeated back and joint pains can be due to multiple causes at this age the commonest being poly arthralgia. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.
She needs a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician.
Till then for symptomatic relief, she can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Back pain, joint pain, fever, chills, upset stomach, headaches, on salonpas medication. Treatment ? 3 days later
Hello Doctor my girlfriend has new symtoms in addition to the origional symptoms. She is still feeling ill and weak.
She has fever and chills, she says her urine feels hot but her stool is normal, upset stomach, headaches, muscle pain now and pain in bones. She is going to see a doctor today again. She says she has only been eating a little rice she has no appetite. Also, she has used something called "salonpas" which I think is some kind of pain medication. For muscle pain, a skin patch.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Since she is having so many multiple problems, only pain killers are not going to help her.

She needs a thorough examination from a specialist along with all the above blood investigations to find out the main cause of all her problems.

Mild stomach upset is commonly seen as a side effect of the pain relieving medicines.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing your friend a trouble free speedy recovery.