Back pain, hip pain. X-ray shows rheumatic arthritis. Suggest whom to consult for this problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Health care,
I am since last 2 year suffering from Back pain and severe occasional hip joint pain,
During sleep at night the pain got start and is extreme some times. It is not fixed and moves throughout the back day and times.
Also, I have gone thru X XXXXXXX stating signs of rheumatic arthritis.. My sister has recently gone thru hip replacement.. and I am also finding the same symptoms of the same.
Please advice how to get cure of the same.
As some time hip joints when pain start its so much that i am unable o move and simple coughing cause pain in the area, but when i am moving and working my pain lessen down.
I have consulted one local doc but they seems wasting my time and money and give me vitamins tablets.
I heard that some NSAID tablets are considered in this ailment.
Please advice or suggest whom to consult for the same.
Ph: 0000
Tata Aig life Insurance-Allahabad UP
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Severe back pain along with hip pain is not an indication of hip replacement at your age. The pain you are having might be due to many causes and proper investigations are needed to find out the cause. X-ray is not sensitive enough to detect the pathology in all the cases.
The cause can be (considering your age):
• Nerve root syndromes - produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration
Musculoskeletal pain syndromes - produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.
• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis
• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning
I recommend you to visit your orthopedician under whose guidance you can have relevant investigations like blood tests and MRI and further treatment.
In the meanwhile, adequate rest, hot compresses, good analgesic medications and avoiding strenuous exercises will benefit you.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Back pain, hip pain. X-ray shows rheumatic arthritis. Suggest whom to consult for this problem? 17 hours later
How to get in contact with you..
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

You can send your investigation details to me along with this query in the box provided on the right side.

You can post your queries here, mentioning "Attn, query for Dr. Praveen Tayal". Otherwise you can ask any number of follow-up queries.

I will try my best to help you out.