Back pain, happens when standing, sitting or driving. Please help

Hi Doc,

From past 2 weeks I am suffering with the sever back pain. This is first time in my life I am facing such intense pain, earlier it was not so painful but now a days, even on standing for more that 30 mins it starts paining same happens when I am sitting in normal position, while driving car or bike also.

Pain is in the lower back on the left side, bit upper side, right and center portion is all okay….

pls help…
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
I see from your description that you have had previously similar episodes but not so intense. Make a self assessment and remember what cause your condition two weeks ago, most common causes are lifting heavy weights, or rapid turning, bending your trunk while you are in not properly and confortable positions, or due to cold currents of air ( sometime AC if I blow in your back ), some time low back pain occur due to muscle strain, kidney problems ( such stones ) or pelvic and abdominal diseases. But I believe in your case is due to nerve / disc compression , that cause nerve root syndrome, because you stated that pain are exacerbates by any movements ( driving car, bike, ) and persisting while sitting , standing and is continuously, persistent, plus you have had similar episodes in the past. For definitely diagnosis I would recommend MRI /CT scan and Neurosurgeon consultation. Practically you can try now non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such a Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Acetaminophen , or analgesics such acetaminophen with codeine, or hydrocodone, plus local anti-inflammatory creams ( voltaren, icy hot, XXXXXXX heat, finalgon , etc. ) plus hot packs, gentle massage. Additionally once or twice a year physical therapy sessions.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,