Back pain, get cold sensation in back radiating to arms. MRI normal. Help?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi I have been having trouble with my back past year I had every MRI done even brain MRI all normal I was told that it is all muscular but I get like a cold sensation in my back and down my arms which really freaks me out I have been seeing a chiropractor that has me exercising daily to correct my posture and imbalances I have can anxiety cause these feelings bec I always think there is something wrong with me and constantly worrying about my health.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Thank you for your query.

I don't think you should be worried if MRI didn't verify any spinal pathology such as tumours, nerves compression, disc bulge or some brain pathology such as multiple sclerosis or ischaemia.
Of course, your symptoms aren't very usual in your age and I know this bothers you but it seems like this is a posture disorder or certain type of fibromyalgia and neuralgia.This is nothing serious and these are nonspecific disorders which are always aggravated by stress, anxiety and other psychological factors.

So treatment should first consist of changing lifestyle: avoid bending and weight lifting, use adequate mattress and pillow while sleeping, do morning stretching exercises and lose weight if overweight, avoid stress, have massage and find some time for relaxation.

Secondly there are medicines: muscle relaxants and benzodiazepines which you should take in consultation with your doctor.

And third is physical therapy (most efficient are hydrotherapy, TEN, therapeutic ultrasound and magnetotherapy). It would be more helpful than a chiropractor and try to find it in your place.

If you notice loss of sensation and tingling in arms and legs, incontinence, muscle weakness in arms, paleness and loss of pulsations in arms and legs, you should go to ER.

Wish you good health.
If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Back pain, get cold sensation in back radiating to arms. MRI normal. Help? 3 hours later
I noticed this has been happening after I have been doing certain exercises I did have a nerve test done that showed c5c6 radiculpoathy can it be I'm irritating the nerves to much by these exercises. I have had it in the past but the past few days its been really bothering me.
Also I had blood work done all normal
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 20 minutes later

Radiculopathy can be cause of your symptoms, and probably is. Only it should be verified is this caused by compression or there is degenerative or metabolic neuropathy. Compression is caused by disc bulge usually and it can be treated by surgery or by steroid injections. This is usually aggravated by certain exercises so you should avoid exercises that cause pain and the best is to do exercise in water or stretching on exercise ball.

Metabolic and degenerative neuropathy is caused by diabetes, alcohol or certain autoimmune disorders. If you have fine blood sugar and don't drink then you should just check autoimmunity factors( RF XXXXXXX and IgG).

Radiculopathy is causing periodically symptoms of pain, tingling and weakness in arms,back and legs. Therapy is symptomatic in most cases. Usually nonsteroid painkillers are enough till pain subside, but sometimes steroids and cytotoxic medicines are necessary.

For permanent improvement you need few months of physical therapy I have mentioned above.