Back pain, done urine analysis. Worried about cancer

I have been having some lower left back pain in the area of my kidney as was worried about some crazy cancer or something. Should I be worried. I have had a uranalysis done in 08/11.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 13 hours later

Cancer usually is a painless process which causes a lump to form and heaviness due to its size.

Flank pain either in the kidney area or lower back maybe caused by various reasons including stone disease and infection. You are advised to undergo an ultrasound examination of the abdomen which should be able to identify the cause of pain.

It could also be a simple muscular pain, in which case your ultrasound report should be normal.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries that you may have

Dr Vineet Malhotra
Follow-up: Back pain, done urine analysis. Worried about cancer 5 hours later
Can I go to my internist for my ultrasound? Or do I need to go to a special doctor?

If it is a stone or something can I do any natural thing to help it now while I wait on my appt.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 4 hours later
Thanks again

You will need to get an ultrasound exam done by a radiologist.

Drinking plenty of fluids( upto 3 liters in a day), avoiding red meat, tea, coffee, alcohol,chocolate, soda and energy drinks can be useful measurs to prevent stone growth.

If you have severe pain, you might have to use an antispasmodic in consultation with a urologist.

I hope i have answered your query.

Wishing you good health
Dr Vineet Malhotra