Back pain, discomfort in head, giddiness, frequent urination, cannot withstand noise, discomfort during irregular BM, depression

Since 2003 he has complain of lower back pain.
Round early 2004 since he used to be more discomfort due to feeling of waviness in the head.
Now a days he has frequent giddiness.
During night, he does not have sound sleep as he gets 6 -7 times urinations. Urination is more during the night time than in day time. Due to less sleep he tries to sleep in the day time thus.
He complains of continuous hammering in his brain. He cannot withstand noisy atmosphere/surrounding. Even 35-40 dB causes him uneasiness.

He gets worried if stool is not passed daily on time. He feels very uncomfortable and results to tension and worry.

On 26th May ’12 he was about to topple down while walking outside, but fortunately someone hold him and supported from falling.

After the above incident he is now mentally weak and worried to move around.
He seems to be suffering from severe depression.
He is in tension with the thought that no one is there to support him in case of need.
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 10 hours later

I would appreciate if you could be more elaborate.

What I could gather from the give history, it seems he has frequent giddiness, headache, increased urinary frequency and imbalance while walking +/- depression. Please provide me the following information.
- How is his memory?
- Is he slow to walk?
- Does he have tremors?
- Is he having any concomitant medical problems like diabetes / hypertension, etc.?

If he has diabetes, the above problems could be just due long standing diabetes related complications.

Assuming his medical history to be normal, it seems that he has probable 'parkinsonism' - a disease in elderly. I would advise to see a neurologist and get him evaluated in details. He/she will be able to guide you appropriately.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any further queries, you are free to ask here. I will be glad to answer them.

Wishing you a good health

Follow-up: Back pain, discomfort in head, giddiness, frequent urination, cannot withstand noise, discomfort during irregular BM, depression 12 hours later

Please find response below :
- How is his memory? Answer- Memory is Ok.
- Is he slow to walk?Answer- Yes
- Does he have tremors? Answer- Sometimes
- Is he having any concomitant medical problems like diabetes / hypertension, etc.? Answer- No diabetes. Only hypertension as analysed by some Doctor.

With Regards
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 5 hours later
Thanks for giving the details.
Does he tends to loose balance frequently while standing/walking? Is there a change in his speech. If the above history is negative and incase if there are no prominent tremors or slowness it may not be parkinsonism. As far his urinary problem is concerned, get him evaluated for prostatic problem, also decrease fluid intake in late evning hours, avoid tea/coffee after evening hours.
Get him evaluated by a neurophysician/physician. After thorough physical examination he/she may able to help rule out parkinsonism and obvious neurological cause. He may require antidepressants and some anxiolytics for his headache.
also try and look out if there is some obvious factor for his depression. Does he stays alone? A good social system with support from family gives a better outcome.

You can see him better if you can get a competent Neurophysician's evaluation. Early treatment makes good difference.

Hope this answers your queries

Best Wishes
Dr. Neeraj Baheti