Back pain, diarrhea. Taking pain medications for spinal condition. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been getting sharp pain on my back in the bottom right, by my kidney. It's not constant, but have noticed since then that I have diarrhea. I am on pain meds for a condition in my back on the spine, so I shouldn't been feeling much pain, nor have diarrhea. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later

Pain in the renal region is most likely colicky pain secondary to renal or calculus or associated gut infection. The pain killers you are taking for your back pain might not be helpful in the colicky pain due to renal or intestinal infection.

A stool culture, urine examination and an ultrasound scan of the abdomen will be helpful in pin pointing the narrowing down the possibility.

In addition you may need some antispasmodic like Meftal along with antibiotics to help your recover. I encourage you to consult your physician for the required investigations and appropriate antibiotics.

Meanwhile keep yourself well hydrated with non- caffeine based drinks and have a light easy to digest food.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.