Back pain, constant urge to urinate, strange taste in mouth. What is your advice?

Yesterday I woke up with fairly bad lower left back pain. It has been worse in the past and it is usually all of my lower back not just 1 side. It was bad enough that I didn't want to move much because it hurt more when I would move. Today I woke up, and while I usually drink a lot of water, I have felt a constant urge to urinate- which is lot more than I usually go. Then this evening I have noticed a weird taste in my mouth. My back is doing a little better, but still hurts some. I don't know if any of these things are related or anything serious to go to doc about- especially if my back stops hurting in the next couple days. What's your advice? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query

Back pain along with increased frequency of urination is suggestive of Urinary Tract infection(UTI)
Other causes include
•     Improper posture which could lead to pain in the back. This could co-exist with a urinary tract infection.
•     Infection in the upper urinary tract
I would suggest the following:
1)     Maintain a proper, upright posture while sitting, standing and lying down.
2)     Apply a heating pad or a hot water bottle on your back for 5 to 10 minutes.
3)     If the pain is severe, you can take tablet aspirin 325 mg 6 hourly with food.
4)     Drink 5 to 6 litres of water in a day
5)     Have cranberry juice as it helps in combating UTI

I would suggest that you consult your prescribe tests like urine routine microscopy, urine culture and sensitivity to rule out UTI. If a diagnosis of UTI is made, treatment would involve antibiotics and urine alkalinizing agents.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have any follow up query.