Back pain causing sleeplessness. Advised MRI. What do I do?

from last 6 month i have back pain problem so that m not able to slip at night m XXXXXXX able to take turns at night . pain will be having sometime in upper backside but most of time middle & lower back side (hip & west joint). Dr. say its is slipdisk or spainraldeises .& suggest me for MRI & says consultes to Nuro.what i do?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Back pain lasting for 6 months affecting your lifestyle and not controlled by short courses of analgesics would definitely need investigations to find the actual cause.

In your case, as your doctor might think - slipped disc and spondylosis - both are causes of back pain. But, only an MRI can confirm any diagnosis if present. And a neurologist will correlate the findings with a detailed examination of your back and joints to plan further management.

I would suggest you to follow the same, because neglected back conditions cause irreversible damage to the spinal cord, and would rarely be amenable to common conservative therapy with drugs.

And you are too young to have spinal problems. So, a checkup would eliminate doubts at the earliest. Hence I encourage you to go ahead with the MRI scans and neurologist consult as suggested by your doctor.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.