Back pain, black spots in stool, high blood pressure. Suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I AM HAVING LOWER BACK AND SIDE PAIN ON MY LEFT SIDE.I ALSO AM SEEING BLACK SPOTS IN MY STOOL ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PIECE OF RICE. JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS RUNNING A LITTLE HIGH.IT IS 148 OVER 98. I NOTICED WHEN I SLEEP ON MY RIGHT SIDE THE PAIN SEEMS TO GO AWAY BUT OTHERWISE IT IS CONSTANT. WHAT WOULD BE THE CAUSE OF THIS ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later

Low Back Pain on left side only can be due to-
Nerve root syndromes are those that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration
Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.
• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis
• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning
• Renal stone
You need a thorough evaluation by an Orthopaedician as there are various causes for this symptom and they can be ruled out only after a Physical Examination. Investigations like X-ray and MRI are entailed. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.
In the meanwhile, adequate rest, hot compresses, good analgesic medications like ibuprofen and avoiding strenuous exercises will benefit you.
Black spots in the stool can be due to parasitic infestation or bleeding in upper GI tract. A routine stool examination will help in the differentiation.

Your blood pressure is definitely high and needs to be treated under the guidance of your physician.
I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.