Back pain, arthritis, spondylitis, taking Xeristar, Fluoxetine, Tramadol.

I have back pain and athuritus in my shoulders knees and spodalitus in my neck.I have been taking Xeristar 60mg and before I was taking fluxatine 20mgs due to depression with my condition.I also take tramadol for pain relief.I would like to go back on fluxatine but would 20 mgs be enough to take after my strengh of the other medication I have been taking. I want to down size my XXXXXXX for my medication for Xeristar is more expensive than the other drug
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 3 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Duloxetine (sold under the brand name Xeristar) is an antidepressant of Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI) class. Fluoxetine is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. Generic versions of Fluoxetine are available in US since 2007. I am not sure what is generic status of Fluoxetine in UK. But it should be cheaper and safer to shift to Fluoxetine for you.

In your case it can be given upto 80 mg in a day. Clinician usually start with a dose of 20 mg and increase weekly by 20 mg if necessary.

Shifting antidepressant medication is associated with an element of risk, it is recommended that the change is done under guidance of a professional. You may safely shift to fluoxetine, but through your primary physicians help.

Take extra care while shifting from one antidepressant to another.

Hope I have answered your query. Waiting to solve your query during follow-up.