Back pain, arthritis, pulled muscles, burning in leg, high BP, MRI of spine. Spinal problems ?

sir.I am a female, 71 years old ,im 5ft,2 inches. I weigh 11 stone.I have back pain which moves around the lower back. I,ve been diagnosed with arthritis, In the past i,ve pulled various muscles due to heavy lifting. I also experience a numbing sensation in the right leg. I have high blood pressure. Can you please advise , on any back care advice, to help me through this painful time. many thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Aches starting from the hip and radiating down the leg is due to a problem with the back (spine).
The most common cause is a disc prolapse. The ache or numbness radiates down to your leg if the protruding disc is compressing the nerves supplying your leg.
A disc prolapse can be caused following trauma to your back or, most of the times, without any reason. An MRI of spine will confirm the diagnosis.
Pain killers is the mainstay of the treatment. For better relief, you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need complete bed rest (not even to the rest room) till the pain resolves when you lie on back or else left lateral position. You can lie for 48 hours, if it does not resolve then you need to XXXXXXX the local doctor.
- Place Ice cubes at the area of maximal pain to make it numb. Repeat once every 4 hours while awake.
- No high heels and change the positions or postures when it starts hurting you.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments. Hot shower bath and Heat pads help for some people you may try them
- If the pain persists then you can get some muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside prescribed from your orthopedician.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects and sitting at platforms lower than your knee level.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio only when there is no pain.
- Avoid exercises when it hurts.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.

Hope I have solved your query.

Wish you good health.