Back pain, applied heat pack, memory loss. Is it due to masturbation or night shifts?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 6.2" tall and waist is 29".
I had a severe pain in my lower back around 2months back.
I had 2 days off from work and taken some rest also applied heat pack which was a bit helpful.
Its almost 2 months from then but its still causing me trouble sometime it happens all along my spinal cord.
I know back pain can be normal but I have been noticing milder pains back since last 1 years and iam still 22.
I have a habit of hand practice about fore times or more a week.
Is that effecting my health or Back in particular???
Sometime i fell that iam getting week in memory as well......some of my friends says it can be due to nightshifts.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Mild intermittent back pain at your age is most commonly caused by a myofascial syndrome. Inadequate rest and improper body posture are the common responsible factors involved.
I would like to let you know that Masturbation is absolutely normal and it wont have any effect on your health or fertility. It also does not lead to back pain. Do it only when you are sexually aroused like twice or thrice a week.
The weakness in memory may happen due to inadequte rest and sleep. Be careful regarding your sleeping hours and provide adequate rest to your body.
You can follow these measures to help with your back pain:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Back pain, applied heat pack, memory loss. Is it due to masturbation or night shifts? 4 hours later
Do I need to get my back checked at hospital
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

If the lifestyle changes I suggested do not help you much then it is best to get yourself investigated by an Orthopedician. Investigations like MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) of spine are entailed. Further treatment can be planned accordingly.

Hope my answer is helpful.