Back pain and hurt while standing or lying. Any treatment or advise to solve the problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
please helpmy boyfriend h hurt his back some how. he woke up and it hurts him when he stands lies down. no swelling just pain.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later

The information you provided is insufficient. Nevertheless if he has hurt himself in sleep due to unfavorable posture, it’s not an emergency. He most likely has a spasm of back muscles which aggravates on any movement of the back.

All he needs to do is take some skeletal muscle relaxants on his physician’s prescription, rest in supine position as long as it takes. Ask him not to stand for long or bend/ twist his back for any purpose. Keep him warm and well hydrated. A firm coir-foam mattress without bends is recommended. One can even apply hot water douche bag under the back for early relief of muscle spasm. Local use of ointments is also useful. He can also take lumbar traction and short wave diathermy at physiotherapy clinic for quick relief.

If his discomfort is not relieved in a day or two, take him to an orthopaedician immediately and get an x-ray done. Once he is stable ask him to visit a physical therapist and learn basic back strengthening exercises.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.