Back pain and hard lump on waist. Getting pain in evening. Kidney related problem?

I am a woman with a hardened lump at the curve of my waist on the right side of my back. The other side is flat and smooth. It does not hurt in the mornings or at night sleeping. No pain in urinating. It is slightly sore to rub, in mornings, but no pain.Toward end of day there is pain there and around toward the front of the body. Painful by evening. Is this kidney?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Pains around the Waist and back pains could have various sources. Particular characteristics of the pain in conjunction to other clinical and paraclinical exams usually orient the treating physician to a particular cause.
Kidney pain presents itself differently, depending on the cause, the particular location of the lesion, the duration of the disease and many other factors. It shall actually be rare for a kidney problem to intensify with no other associated symptoms , as the day fades off.
Kidney pain generally is usually a dull, moderate severe pain, around the back and the junction between the ribs and the upper outer region of the upper abdomen, at times associated with fever and usually accompanied by vomiting. When it is caused by stones, it s a periodic, cyclic, severe pain rendering the patient restless, can even lead to shock like symptoms at ties or failure to urinate if the urinary transport system is completely blocked.
The chances are not very high in your case its a kidney problem. But is worth meeting your physician to exclude kidney problems using simple tests like urinalysis, serum urea creatinine levels and and abdominal ultrasound. Your physician could be of much help actually give clear clarifications and specifications.
Thanks for using health care magic and I hope this helps,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.