Back pain after playing cricket. Pain while sitting and sleeping

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i had not played much since 4 years and my physical activities were limited , I played 4 hrs of continuous cricket a month back, due to which i got lower back pain , its not subsiding even after a month. it pains when i sit and sleep on my back.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later

It seems that due to excessive stress and exertion to which your back muscles were not used to, you have suffered a myofascial pain syndrome. There may be some spinal disc related problem involved which is causing you a persistent pain.

You need to consult an orthopedician who after an examination will order tests like MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) of spine to find the extent of damage you have suffered.

The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.

You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:

- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.