Back pain. Trouble walking, take advil. Had x-ray. What are the findings?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Back pain. Trouble walking. Had x-ray -- result - "L4-5 disc space compatible with advanced disc degnerative disease or discoidectomy. There is advanced osteoarthritis from L4-S1 bilaterally. There are vascular calcifications XXXXXXX
1) Can physio help? What exercise can I do? What can't I do?
2) Can I stop progression?
3) Pains med suggested? Advil works. Is it safe? How safe?
I am 63, female, very limber and do pilates.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
You are having degenerative disc disease. Physiotherapy can help in decreasing the further progression of the disease and decreasing the symptoms.
Pain medicines like Advil are recommended for symptomatic relief. This are safe if there is no gastric intolerance.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Advil 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Physiotherapy like intermittent lumbar traction , back strengthening exercises reduces pressure of disc bulge for some time & gives relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.