Back pain. Tried heating pad, icy hot and ibuprofen. Suggest treatment for permanent cure

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having tons of back pain and can't get relief. I use a heating pad, icy hot, ibuprofen 800, I did use naproxen but it was hurting my stomach. I am not sure what course of action I should take. I am a military spouse and my general doc never really helps me.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be mechanical back pain.

Detailed Answer:
You are suffering from what we call the mechanical back pain complex. The first step is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working. Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water. Discontinue using pillow while sleeping straight. Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy your minerals and proteins requirement.

The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and neck isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home whenever possible. You can also undergo a weeks session of traction at your physiotherapist's clinic.

Last but not least, if its unbearable take medications or muscle relaxant prescribed by your physician. Stop taking naproxen as it is causing you gastritis. You can get a combination of potent muscle relaxant and a pain killer. Do continue with hot fomentation. And if it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.