Back pain, MRI showed suspected TB in spine. Should I get biopsy done for confirmation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor, This is regarding my mother, she is having severe back pain since last 7-8 months. We went to see the doctor in Manipal Hospital, after a lot of blood tests and MRI Scan doctor is suspecting it to be TB in spine, and now asking us to go for biopsy for the confirmation. I have already paid a lot of amount till now in tests and in biopsy they are asking around Rs0000 - 0000 Please suggest some good hospital or should i continue with it
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 days later
Since the orthopedician is suspecting tuberculosis of spine and the biopsy of spine is costly as well as a risky affair, you can go for cheaper alternatives-
1. You can get your mother tested for Elisa for IgA and IgG antibodies against tubercular antigen. This will help in detection of tuberculosis anywhere in her body.
2. A presumptive treatment with antitubercular drugs can be started for 15 days. In case her pain and symptoms improve, then the treatment can be continued further.
You can discuss about both these alternatives with her orthopedician.
To find a good Orthopedician nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
OR One of our customer care executives will assist you further in finding a good
doctor. (Please send mail to CRM team, YYYY@YYYY )
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Back pain, MRI showed suspected TB in spine. Should I get biopsy done for confirmation? 9 minutes later
HI Doctor,
First of all i would like to thankyou for taking the time to reply, moving forward, we already went for the biopsy as the doc suggested it should be diagnosed early to avoid any future complications and in biopsy they confirmed today that it is TB in the spine. Now tomorow i have the appointment with the doc for the futher action plans. In the last XXXXXXX he told he would start the treatment of TB (if found) and suggest to go for spine surgery because the L1 is collapse. will share the MRI Film soon. Would like to have a suggestion should we go for the surrgery or can it be cured by medication.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Now that the diagnosis has been confirmed, she should be started on anti tubercular treatment as soon as possible.
The collapse of L1 vertebra cannot be corrected with a conservative treatment. The medicines can only control the infection and prevent further progression of the disease. The collapsed vertebra must have compressed the nerve roots too. The need of surgery depends on the extent of neurological involvement. To come back to a normal life, surgery is a better option so that the decompression of nerves can be done and she can walk again.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Back pain, MRI showed suspected TB in spine. Should I get biopsy done for confirmation? 11 minutes later
Hi Doc,
Thanks for the prompt reply, as per the surgeon in the surgery they will fix some metal for the bone which got collapse so that there should be support to avoid bending or tilting of spine, wanted to check how much complication would be there in this type of surgery, or what are the risk involved or will htere be any problems because of metal inside the spine, for this the amount which they gonna charge is around 2 lac is this ok ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Giving a metal support fro the collapsed bone is a routine procedure. The metal inside the spine does not cause any problems and the only likely complication due to the metal is infection. As such the surgery is associated with all the pre and post operative complications as are seen with any other major surgery.
The cost of treatment varies from place to place but a rough estimate should be between 2-2.5 lakhs.
Wishing your mother an early recovery.
Follow-up: Back pain, MRI showed suspected TB in spine. Should I get biopsy done for confirmation? 9 hours later
Thanks a ton Doctor, really apreciate the quick response. Going ahead and closing the discussion.
Thanks once again.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can recommend our website to your friends too.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards