Back pain, CT scan showed kidney stone. Back, testicle and groin pain after passing stone. Constipated. Any ideas?

Hi. Saturday I went to the hospital for severe back flank pain. Immediately I knew it was a kidney stone cause I've had them before. Surely enough after a trip to the ER and CT Scan they confirmed I had a 2mm stone. Also went to my Urologist on Tuesday prescribing Flomax and Oxycodone. On Thursday I passed the stone. I still have moderate pain in lower back, testicles and groin. Have been somewhat constipated and now have painful bowl movements with black stool. Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for the black stools and constipation but black stools cannot be caused by kidney stones.

Black stools can result from taking iron supplements, or possibly from internal bleeding. If the black color is from blood, it is known as "melena." The dark color indicates that the blood has been in the body for some time and is coming from higher up in the gastrointestinal tract.

The blood could be caused by several different conditions, including a bleeding ulcer, gastritis and esophageal varices. Inflammatory bowel disease is an important cause of black stools and constipation and hence should be evaluated.

You need to get it evaluated from a gastroenterologist. He may do investigations like colonoscopy , upper GI endoscopy, stool culture , and barium studies .

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Back pain, CT scan showed kidney stone. Back, testicle and groin pain after passing stone. Constipated. Any ideas? 8 hours later
Not sure how this information is worth $10! You have told me nothing I didn't already know. Out of all my concerns, all you guys come up with is I need to go see Gastroenterologist and have to much iron in my blood. I will gladly accept a refund please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 33 hours later

I can understand your concern. My suggestions have been helpful to many users on this portal. It looks like my previous opinion was not useful. So let me try this time.

The symptoms that you are having: pain in lower back, constipation, black stools and painful bowl movements are not related to kidney stones. It is likely that these symptoms are due to intestinal causes as mentioned in my previous reply. The investigations are warranted to narrow down the possibility and to plan the further line of management.

Given these symptoms, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is an important possibility. The major types of IBD are Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis characterised by abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, severe XXXXXXX cramps/muscle spasms in the region of the pelvis, weight loss and various associated complaints. Diagnosed can only be confirmed by colonoscopy and biopsy of the lesions inside the colon.

Hence it is mandatory to get an examination done from a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

If you are not satisfied with my answer, please write back to the customer support team for a refund. I am sure they will do the needful.

Wish you good health.