Back injury, numbness in the lower back. Are kidneys damaged?

I fell of my bike a couple of year ago and hit my lower back on the curb very hard. I have since been getting a numb sensation on my lower left back and recently been getting stitches. I am worried I have damaged my kidneys? I have seen the doctor but he said all was fine. What should I do? Do I need to get a second opinion?
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Abid 13 minutes later
Hi there...

Regarding your concern I want to tell you that numbness is a feature sensory nerve involvement and it has nothing to do with kidneys. It is highly likely that the numbness may be because of involvement of lower back spine nerves. You can in fact get few tests (Xray and MRI) and find if there is any bone growth that impinges on these spine nerves.

If you need second opinion you may once consult spine surgeon.

Regards,if you found my response helpful please leave positive feedback for me.