Back hurting due to sun burn, sore throat, heart burn after being in sun. Tried tylenol and chloraseptic scrips. Further?

Hi, on Saturday the 19th of May I played 2 rounds of disc golf in a tournament. The high was in the upper 80's/low 90's and tremendous humidity. By the end of the 1st round I was feeling drawn; and was barely able to finish the 2nd. I did drink a couple of powerades and several bottles of water. After the round my entire back was hurting as well; even though I hadn't done anything to warrant it. By later that evening I was burning up; but figured it was sunburn. Still, I felt lousy so I started icing down my neck. Sunday a.m. I felt well enough to finish my last round; but was hurting badly by the finish. Sunday night I had the 'shakes'; and when I awoke Mond. a.m. the bed was soaked from sweat. At some juncture Sunday the back of my throat became sore as well. Since Sunday evening I have experienced contunual heartburn/reflux. So Monday a.m. I went to an immediate care center where my temp was 100.4; and my urine test came up with slightly elevated CK's. The attending physician took a swab of my throat for strep but was negative. Due to the elevated CK's he said they could worsen, which would mean the breaking down of my muscles and lead to death; so I should go to the ER. I went to the ER; and they took both urine and blood samples. They ruled out strep or mono; but did say I had some form of viral material in the back of my throat; so they gave me Tylenol 3 & Chloraseptic scrips. They were not concerned about my CK's though; and wondered aloud why the Immediate Care Center sent me to them in the first place. Since then each night I have continued to have cold sweats and daily temperatures; although I seem to have the temperature aspect under control. I have lost 8 pounds since Last Friday evening; and have experienced a complete lack of appetite with now a continual feeling of reflux. I am not able to eat more than a couple bites of anything as my gum lines have become very sore in placing, even bleeding when brushing my teeth. Could this all be attributable to my gall bladder?
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 15 hours later

Strenuous physical exercises added with dehydration can lead to "Rhabdomyolysis” (rapid breakdown of muscle protein) which is the reason for elevated creatinine kinase. As your doctor's at immediate care centre mentioned if it is not treated early, this can lead to acute renal failure and death.

Don't worry your symptoms since then is not related to renal failure.

Symptoms of sore throat, cold sweats, high body temperature, reduced appetite, sore / bleeding gums are indicators of infection. It is probably an upper respiratory infection. Though the cause is usually virus in most cases, we do commonly find mixed infections where there can be added bacterial infections too.

Since you haven't completely recovered yet, it might be a good option to start on a course of antibiotics. Pencilin / macrolide antibiotics / broad spectrum cephalosporin are widely used and effective in such cases. Your physician can prescribe you a suitable antibiotic to you.
In the meantime it is beneficial to keep drinking plenty of water, consuming plenty of fruits / vegetables and rest adequately.

Heart burn is probably not related to infection / rhabdomyolysis. We can take care of this independently by using over the counter prilosec OTC for 7-14 days. Bland diet, regular diet and antacids like Syp Mucaine gel can give you added benefits.

Lastly, I also encourage you to consult your physician to perform a few blood tests which includes complete hemogram, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, repeat serum creatinine kinase and renal functions. If all these tests are normal, then there is no reason to worry. You should soon be normal.

Hope I was able to comprehensively address all your issues. Let me know if I have missed out any other concerns.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Best wishes