Back and spine are hurting and taking lyrica. Suggest the treatment to get rid of excruciating pain

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I'm not too bad I'm on lyrica 300mg b.d and I went to surgeon the other day and I felt he was not interested at all told me to choose what part of my back hurts more and I said it's the whole spine and neck and he said we'll u have to so he's sending me for ultrasound on lower back and neck? I feel I should go somewhere else as I really think he needed to listen to me and he didn't look at any of my scans or my paperwork Also my shoulders get that bad I rub until I've taken all the skin Off as I can't feel how hard I'm rubbing its like I'm numb on the outside but excruciating pain deep down that affects my whole upper body
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Conservative management is the initial option. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on the description of symptoms and your medical history, I suspect that you could be suffering with Cervical and Lumbar disc disease. MRI scans of both cervical and lumbar spine will establish the severity of the problem. The Primary management of your condition is as follows - * Physical therapy - Strengthening and stretching of weakened or strained muscles is usually the first treatment that is advised. Physical therapy programs vary, but they generally last from 6 to 8 weeks. * Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) - are thought to be the most effective painkillers for symptoms of cervical spine related issues. Some commonly used NSAIDs include - Diclofenac, Ibuprofen and Naproxen. If you experience spasms, when your neck muscles suddenly tighten uncontrollably, a short course of a muscle relaxant may be needed. * Exercise and lifestyle changes - - doing low-impact aerobic exercises such as swimming or walking - using one firm pillow at night to reduce strain on your neck - correcting your posture when standing and sitting * Soft Collars -These collars limit neck motion and allow the muscles of the neck to rest. Soft collars should only be worn for short periods of time because long-term wear can decrease the strength of neck muscles. * Ice, heat, other modalities - Use of ice, heat, massage, and other local therapies can help relieve symptoms. Conservative management of Lumbar disc disease is as follows - - Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese - Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back - Avoid excessive forward bending activities as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed. - Use a lumbosacral back support to stabilize your spinal muscles - Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded disc - Physiotherapy is needed to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided. - Use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful. If your fail to improve with the above measures, an Epidural steroid injection may provide good symptom relief for a few months. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards