Back and shoulder pain, swollen muscles. MRI done, shows prominent bone marrow signal. What does this mean?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I got a MRI Sat. due to pain in my back and shoulder and all it says is swollen muscle but at the end it says There is prominet red marrow signal noted. What does that mean.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 17 minutes later
Bone marrow usually appears as a brighter signal on a mri scan than the other tissues .
It is the normal appearance and not a cause to worry unless termed pathological by the radiologist.
It is more commonly seen so at near ends of bones called metaphysis especially in case of middle aged females, obesity and smoking.
Red marrow has a higher signal due to its higher water content.
So dont worry about the marrow, its most likely normal.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please press the accept button if you have no further queries.