Back and shoulder pain after drinking, lasts till I have proper sleep. What may be the issue?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor, I usually have a drink on weekend and in moderation. I feel terrible back shoulder pain the next day afternoon and it lasts till I have a proper sleep the next night. What may be the issue?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

The back and shoulder pain that you experience after drinking alcohol is due to muscle soreness.

Alcohol intake increases the content of lactic acid in your body. Excessive build up of lactic acid in your body can lead to cramps or pain in your muscles. Secondly, alcohol leads to dehydration. Your body ends up falling short on electrolytes, and you tend to experience muscle pain or cramps.

Drinking plenty of water before going to sleep that night will be helpful in reducing lactic acid levels in the body; as well as will combat the dehydration.
Also, eating foods that are XXXXXXX in carbohydrates can be beneficial in these circumstances.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.