Back and leg pain before periods start, bloating, white discharge, bleeding on last day. What could this be?

I have notice over the last 4 months approx. 3 days before I start my period my lower left back and my left leg hurts all the way down to my ankle. I also experience cramping in my left foot during the night. My left shoulder and arm begin to hurt approx. 5-6 days before my period. My shoulders hurt for about 4 days after the end of my period and my leg and back stops hurting as bad around 2 days after my period. My insides hurts especially my left side and I feel bloated all of the time. I am 36 years old and have never had any issues with my period or even cramping. I continue to have a whitish discharge and had bright red bleeding on the last day of my period. What could this be? I have two children ages 6 and 8 and had not problems conceiving.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The symptoms you have described are a part of premenstrual syndrome and occur in our body due to the hormonal changes that occur during this time.
This is a normal variation. The symptoms of bloating, bodyache, etc are a part of premenstrual syndrome which are normal. It can be associated with mood changes, irritation,etc. and you need not worry about all these symptoms as these do subside after your periods.
The most common physical symptoms are fatigue, bloating, body aches, breast tenderness (mastalgia), acne, and appetite changes with food cravings.
General management includes a healthy lifestyle including exercise, family and friends can provide emotional support during the time of a woman's cycle, avoid salt before the menstrual period, reduce caffeine intake, quite smoking, reduce alcohol intake and reduce intake of refined sugars.
To get over with the pain you can start taking tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three to five days before the beginning of your periods and can continue till your periods are finished.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.