Back and leg pain, MRI shows slip disc. Safe to take Bonista injection to make bones stronger?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, My mom has pain on her back and left leg. We did MRI scan and found that there is disc slip in the lower back. Doctor suggested for surgery to fit screws. But after Dexa scan we found out bones are not strong to get surgery done. So, doctor suggested to continue the calcium tablets and pain killers. (neurica 50mg, shelcal 500). Now doctor saying to take one injection BONISTA to make the bones stronger, so that further fracture won't be there. Is it safe to have this injection? Is there any side effects?

Thanks in advance.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Every medication has possible side effects and this is no less true for osteoporosis medications. No drug is completely free of side effects and Bonista injections are overall well tolerated. For people who need the drug, the benefits way outweigh the risks.
In your mother's case, since she is having fracture of the spine, it is far more XXXXXXX and debilitating than the minor side effects of the medicine Bonista. It usually causes only minor flu like symptoms like fever and chills which can be controlled well by acetaminophen. Sometimes it may cause a minor heart burn also. Rare side effects include leg pains, fluid retention and blood clot formation. You need to follow her orthopedician's recommendations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.