Baby's hand and feet cold and sweaty after meals, normal after some time. Reason?

why are my babys feet cold and sweaty forgot to mention her hands and feet are sweaty and cold after meals then they are ok again
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 5 hours later
Hello ,

Thank you for choosing to ask a question on this site.

Congratulations on your recent motherhood. I am sure that your baby is doing well in all respects.

A baby of 2 months is as thermostable as an adult, and whatever variations are seen in her body temperature are considered "normal" if she is not uncomfortable in any way. At times, particularly in the months of winter, a small infant may show a relatively cooler ends of hands and legs as compared to the trunk. This is normal and not a cause of concern.

In your specific case, I have almost no doubt that she is a normal baby. The only concern may be that if she is having spells of a low blood glucose level due to some aberration in her body, she may show the exact same symptoms as what you have described.

They indicate that you should get her blood sugar levels tested when she has cool extremities and sweating, and compare this to the levels she has when she is normal as you say.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

With warm regards .

Follow-up: Baby's hand and feet cold and sweaty after meals, normal after some time. Reason? 7 hours later
This only happens after she eats really. Could it be metabolism working . Its just that when you ready things in the internet they scare you with all sorts of things like heart issues and things like that so am I just a paranoid new parent or what?
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, I think you are getting carried away by all that is available on the net. I would still caution you that you should get her checked by a pediatrician. You could carry her food to the doctor's waiting room and feed her there, and then take the child in for the doctor to confirm or rule out that there is any problem. He may need to be suggested that he might want to rule out a low glucose in blood (hypoglycemia) problem.

Dr. Taher