Baby wheezing, taken Lasma 4, Budate, Cypon, Xyzal, Macphylline, weight gain after medication. Side effects?

my baby age 4and half and she is suffering from wheezing trouble. Her weight is only 13 kg. Doctors gave lasma4 and budate 100.. now i consult a doctor a pulmonologist and guided me to give cypon,xyzal and macphylliine and lasma 4 and budate 100 . she is underweight. after giving all these medicines she improved 2kg within 20 days. but i"m very fear about this medicines side effects. may i continue this medicines?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 9 hours later

I feel empathy for your daughter, who is obviously suffering from childhood asthma. I have reviewed her entire history as written by you, and feel that the medicines prescribed by the chest physician are all right.

However, I would stop Longifene since it does not play a specific role in asthma.

Perhaps your doctor prescribed it because it has a side-effect of increasing a child's appetite. Hence, you may continue it if it is causing an improvement in her weight/appetite, but no longer than 3 months in all. It may also cause sedation (increased sleep), so be cautious if the child oversleeps.

The acebrophylline, romilast and budecort inhalation are absolutely fine. After using the budecort inhaler, be sure to ask her to gargle her mouth and clean her tongue and teeth with a plain, wet toothbrush, as budecort is an inhalational corticosteroid (ICS) and if not cleared, it may produce an oral, fungal infection.

I would stop the Cypon completely, as the drug may cause problems at slightly higher than the useful dosages. There may be a neural excitation or even fits. I have never used Cypon in my practice since almost 20 years. To increase the appetite, there are herbal appetisers available in the market, such as APTIVATE or HAPPENS; you may use either one of these 5 ml/dose, thrice a day, half an hour before meals.

Finally, xyzal is also not an essential drug, but you may use it if she has acute symptoms.

I hope this answers your queries. Do write back if you have doubts.

With best wishes,