Baby vomits after feed, has cough with vomit. Is this due to umbilical hernia?

my baby is vomiting after feed. in a day my wife is able to breast feed 3 times only and rest of times we feed him diluted cow milk. at times the vomit has lot of cough in it.As in the last chat you have mention that my baby who is 4 weeks old now is having a sign of umbilical hernia is this all is due to umbilical hernia? or he drinks over milk and vomits. he is vomiting from past one and half weeks. Please suggest
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 21 hours later
Hi dear,
Thanks for your query to health care magic. Vomiting after feeding is a common phenomena for babies. Its called reflux. As long as your baby is feeding well, gaining weight well he probably is a happy spitter. We need not worry much about vomiting. Burping your child for atleast 15-20 minutes in upright position before putting him to sleep helps in reducing reflux.
Umbilical hernia doesn't cause reflux. Vomiting caused by umbilical hernia obstruction will be greenish (bile) associated with excessive inconsolable crying, tenderness on touching umbilical region, swelling doesn't reduce in size on pushing contents inside.
Most probably he is having reflux. Keep a watch on his weight and if it is not increasing by 250gm every two weeks, then reflux needs to be treated. Also be vigilant about danger signs of umbilical hernia obstruction I mentioned above although it happens rarely.
If you have any further queries I am happy to help you or else kindly close the query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji CHinnasami MD
Assistant professor, Pediatrics