Baby teething. Want to know if diarrhea is caused by teething. How long will it take to stop?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi,My question is about baby teething .
How to know that the diarrhea is caused by teething?and how long does it take the diarrhea to stop if it's caused by teething?should it stop once the tooth shows up?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 54 minutes later
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
1) If diarrhoea starts with tooth eruption, it means that teething is thetrigger. Usually diarrhea due to teething is not severe and should settle in 2 to 3 days. Bacterial infection can result in bloody mucoid stools. Viral infections usually result in watery stools.
Otherwise its difficult to differentiate other causes.
2) It usually settles in few days like I mentioned. Keep giving her breast or formula milk and try electrolytes solution in sips frequently to keep the baby hydrated.
3) It might take few more days even after the eruption is over, because to recover you need the intestines to return to normal with adequate digestive enzymes.
Hope I answered your queries.
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Baby teething. Want to know if diarrhea is caused by teething. How long will it take to stop? 23 hours later
Thank you very much Your Answer is great and is exactly what i needed :),
My daughter is 9 months had a virul infection one month ago ,it remained for 14 days ,her first and second tooth erupted during the infection and the diarrhea got worse during the eruption phase .

Now it seems like her third tooth is in the way i cant see any white line in her gum ,but she keeps waking up at night and biting her fingers and cries of pain ,these symptoms showed with diarrhea since saturday ( the stool is not watery or containing mucus or blood) ,so i think its because of her tooth but it didnt settle in 2-3 days this is her fifth day and its not getting better,but still it's not sever (maximum 4 full diapers/day) ,what do you think Dr.Arun?I'm really confused :( as she spent most of the last month with diarrhea
Thank you very much I'm grateful
Answered by Dr. Arun 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should settle soon, try zinc

Detailed Answer:
Nice to hear from you .
If the stool output is not severe as you mentioned , try giving her home available liquids and electrolytes to keep her hydrated. Make sure she passes urine minimum 6 times/ day. I would advice you to add zinc syrup or drops, the usual dose is 10 mg for infant once daily.
Give her well cleaned teethers to help her too.
Hopefully it should settle soon, dont worry.
Dr Arun