Baby suffering from constipation. What diet should be given?

My son is 10.5 months now & i am giving him 200 ml boieled milk with added 2 teaspoon sugar & 6-7 vita XXXXXXX biscuits in it? but His stool is hard & at the time of it coming out he is pushing very much I think it is paining him. So what to do? Any other biscuits for him?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later

I understand your baby is suffering with constipation.

I think you should give the baby little extra sugar and also give him plain boiled and cooled water in between feed. Most of my patients (babies) settle down with that. There is no real need for alternative biscuits.

Hope this answers your query. Please let me know if you get any other problem.

Kindest regards

Dr S.K.Mukherjee
Follow-up: Baby suffering from constipation. What diet should be given? 18 hours later
Hi doctor
Above mention feed is only in morning then we give him khimat(rice,wheat,moong sal, tur dal,soyabeen,almond, cashewnut powder cook in water with ghee & salt.) 2-3 times, dal rice tometto potato carrot kichadi in ghee with termeric & salt for lunch & dinner, then 1.5 cup of boiled milk with sugar, beat carrot soups three times in weak. even after all this he is passing stool 2-3 times in a day but hard
so what to do?

my son is hold pulling his XXXXXXX whenever we change his pant or diaper i.e.? Is there any problem because of this? starting point skin of his XXXXXXX is little loose.He is 10.5 months only.

Also he is making voice as dada, baba, aya, eeeee, oooo or like driving motor but if he see anybody then he will shouting to call him like if he see my husband who was watching tv so he calling him from bed as aeeeeeeeeee. If his cousins try to hold him or trying to pick his toys then also he is making these shout like eeeeeeeeee. We can understand that he is saying them that dont touch or dont take, or he is calling us but I am worried that is he dumb i.e. whether he can able to talk or not?

Thanks for following up.

From what you have posted, you are concerned about:
(1) Baby is passing hard stool which is bit worrying. That may injure anal canal and can produce anal fissure
(2) Straining due to constipation may affect bladder as well.
(3) About his speech

The following are my suggestion to your concerns:
(1) For hard stools I think you can give him syrup of Fig or Lactulose syrup daily. In extreme situation you can use glycerine suppositories (Infant) as necessary
(2) Straining problem will automatically settle when problem of constipation is solved.
(3) I don't think you should worry about his speech. A child puts words in to sentences usually at the age of 2yrs.

Hope I have addressed all your concerns. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Kindest Regards

Dr S.K.Mukherjee