Baby started vomitting and loose motion. Losing weight. Stool test done. What is your suggestion?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My baby has started vomitting and loose motion sincea week ago and he is 9+months old. Rcently only he has developed this . We have gone for a stool test . In that everything is normal only Fatglobules is +++ and Reducing substance is Positive . We asked our doctor he told us not to wory and advised uis fo a Stool Culture test.

Can u Tell us is it okay as he ahs reduced his weight more XXXXXXX 400 gms in last 15 days . As he is not taking milk and if we feed him he vomits and motions start . Kindly Suggest
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 3 hours later

The current symptoms which your baby has are probably due to lactose intolerance which is very common in this age group.

Reducing substances are positive because milk is passed out partially digested.
Fat globules are present because of malabsorption.

I would suggest avoiding lactose containing milk (cows / formula) and sticking to lactose free formulas. Many such formulas are available which are lactose free; example - zerolac, nusobee soya, etc which you can try.

Try with lactose free formulas, rice kanji, curd, kitchdi etc. DO NOT GIVE LACTOSE CONTAINING MILK or BISCUITS for next 2 weeks

Usually this problem which your baby has resolves in two weeks, but only if you avoid lactose.

Be patient; give ORS (electral, etc) for vomits and loose stools to maintain hydration in the meantime. If your child becomes very dull with decreased urine, you may need to show your baby to a doctor.

Hope I cleared your doubts. Let me know if you need more help.

I wish your baby speedy recovery.

Dr Arun