Baby started coughing and vomiting. No relief from domstal. Looking for solution

Last night my 1 year Old daughter started throwing up everthing even water .She coughs & vomits.we tried giving her Domstal .Even this didnt work.Kindly advice the medication to avoid vomiting & from De hydration.
Also coupel od days back we have stopped breast feeding.Is it a ideal age??
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 12 hours later

I am really concerned that your daughter is suffering from vomiting.

Few points to understand,
1. Colour of vomiting is important. If its green colored (suggestive of bile), its an emergency. Immediately seek hospital visit. It may suggest bowel obstruction.
2. Many children with cough and cold, tend to vomit after coughing (it increases abdominal pressure) and they don't respond to antiemetics. Cough syrups might help in such scenarios.
3. Keep the child hydrated with oral rehydration salt solutions (ORS), buttermilk, tender coconut water, breast milk, plain sips of water.
4. There are many causes of vomiting. Its always better to get examined by a pediatrician than self medicating.
5. Breastfeeding can be continued for two years of age.
6. If inspite of all efforts, vomiting doesn't subside and your daughter has no intake for whole day with decreased urine output, its an indication for starting drips.

Don't worry she will be alright soon. If you have any queries further, I will be happy to help you. Take care.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami
Follow-up: Baby started coughing and vomiting. No relief from domstal. Looking for solution 13 hours later
Thank you for advice doctor.She is feeling better now.The breast feed was stopped a week back.Would you recommend to start the breast feed again?? as the mother is already gone through the pain of stopping teh feed & took some medication after consulting a doctor .
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 11 hours later

I am happy that your daughter is feeling better now. Its always recommended to give breast feeding for two years and beyond. Restarting breastfeeding may not be a painful process like stopping breast feeding. Just give a try, no need to worry about the number of times or quantity of breastfeeding. There are lot of benefits of breastfeeding till two years.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami