Baby reduced weight after birth. Noticed drop in breast milk before periods. Need to give supplement for baby. Suggest?

Doctor plz help my baby turned 4month old on 22sept on 16 sept she was born with 2.45 kg birth weight she weighed 6.26 KGs and today26th sept she came down to 6.22KGs this is be because my periods first returned on 16 th July then on 21st aug n this month I still haven't got them n everytime before my periods my milk drops really badly that I have to supplement her with formula milk nan and on e the period is over my milk is back to normal this month has been really bad cz it's been 20 days that I don't get enough milk to feed my baby throught the day especially at nite I still haven't got my periods I have to give her formula milk cz she struggles at the breasts due to low milk please help me my baby was gaining weight really well and it's the 1st time she has lost weight I really wana breastfeed her her doctor has now asked me to start semi solid stuff like rice cereal n dal water for her what can I do to help her gain weight again
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

Relax,there is nothing to worry,it is sometimes seen that during periods milk production decreases but dont be anxious as anxiety is main reason for less milk.
Take plenty of fluids,milk,juices and nutritious diet ,almonds in those days.

Regarding weight of baby monitor it on monthly basis.
Normally baby should double his birth weight by 5 months of age and triples by one year.
So there is nothing to worry as he is gaining perfect weight, small variations are normal till baby is active.

But even if you feel that he needs to be supplemented ,give him formula milk but proper sterilisation of bottle is needed.

Regarding starting complementary I suggest you to wait till he is 6months of before this age babies intestines can easily digest milk only.

Hope I have answered your query,if you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health

God bless..
Follow-up: Baby reduced weight after birth. Noticed drop in breast milk before periods. Need to give supplement for baby. Suggest? 7 minutes later
Thank you doctor but what should I do now her doctor has asked me to start with rice water so tht she gets the required nutrients I have got my periods today so hoping my milk production increases I am also taking cal mag d will I be able to breastfeed my baby till a year with this problem I am facing and what can I do to prevent my milk for diminishing before onset of my periods I am become very negative all of a sudden with breastfeeding
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up.

I really appreciate that you want to breast fed your baby.

Be calm.,be positive,be happy.

As endorphins play very important role.

Dont be anxious as this is affecting milk production.

Do breathing exercises.

AsI said take good nutritious diet,take a litre of milk.

Regarding initiation of complementary feeding I suggest you to take second opinion of another pediatrition in your area.

As I do not recommend it before 6months.

But relax,this is normal and he is gaining adequate weight as well.

Hope this helps.Let me know if you have any further question.

Take care...