Baby passes stools after every feed. Liquid stools with seeds. Stomach upset?

Hello Doctor,

My baby passes motion after every feed, most of the times while feeding only she passes motion with great difficulty. Her motion is very liquid and has seed kind of a thing in it. Immediately she drinks my milk, with great difficulty she pushes motion out. This is happening since past 15-20 days only, earlier she was normal. I'm worried if she has some stomach upset or something of that kind.

Please advice on this.

Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later

It is possible that she is constipated. A child with constipation may have less frequent bowel movements, hard or painful movements.
Most infants with constipation do not have any underlying medical problems.Medical problems cause constipation in fewer than 5% of children with this problem.

During the first few months of life breast fed babies have at least 3 movements a day, some babies like your doctor may stool after each feed.

An infant who is constipated has bowel movements that are hard or pellet like, or the baby may cry,arch the back or tighten the buttocks while trying to stool.
Some babies may appear to strain while trying to stool because babies have weak abdominal muscles, but if the baby passes a soft stool within minutes of straining they are unlikely to constipated.

There are home treatments that can be used but you can consider taking her to be evaluated so that her doctor can examine her to make sure that there is nothing that may be contributing to the constipation.

In general visiting the doctor before using any home treatments is recommended for babies younger than 4 months of age.

After 4 months (because babies can use limited amounts of other liquids) , other treatment can be started such as:(1) the use of dark corn syrup (1/4 tsp to 1 tsp) to 4 ounces of milk (2) the use of fruit juices such as prune juice (2 to 4 ounces a day).
Doctors can also prescribe additional or alternative medication if these do not relieve the symptoms.

Remember it is best to take her to the doctor to confirm that it is simply constipation before initiating any treatment.

I hope this helps and I hope that your daughter feels better soon, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Baby passes stools after every feed. Liquid stools with seeds. Stomach upset? 41 hours later
She is not constipated, she passes watery stools whenever i feed her, most of the times parallely during feed she passes stools. I'm worried if she would lose the nutrition in the milk as she passes stools 7-8 times a day and immediately after every feed.

Her birth weight was 3.5 kgs, now after 50 days she is 4.3 kgs. Is the weight gain normal ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

Most babies gain about 140 to 200 g a week until 6 months of age.At 7 weeks that would make an expected weight gain of 980g to 1400g.
She has gained 800g which is slightly below however it is not just the total weight gain but where the baby is on the growth chart, if she is following along her line when the doctor plots her weight on the graph then that is what is more important.

Alot of breast fed babies stool after each feed (mine certainly did), it is not that they are losing the nutrients from the milk, breast milk is so easily digested that they can absorb it easily into their system and pass out the byproducts/stool.If the stools increase in frequency and she appears to have diarhoea then you should take her to the doctor for evaluation because babies are easily dehydrated.

I hope this information is helpful,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Baby passes stools after every feed. Liquid stools with seeds. Stomach upset? 33 minutes later
Please advice as how to increase the weight for the baby. I feel she is getting weaker in the past few days. My baby is sleeping most of the time, i am unable to wake her to feed also many times. Why is she not feeling hungry? How often should i feed her? Is it okay if she sleeps longer without starve for milk?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later

At her age she just needs breast milk, feed on demand, she should request feeds every 3 or so hours.The more milk she drinks the more your body will make.
Breast milk is the best milk for her because it has in everything that she needs but it is difficult, I know , to figure out whether she is getting enough.
You can use these to try and determine if she is getting enough (1)If she has at least 6 wet nappies a day ( the urine may actually be mixed in with the stool), (2)if you feel a gentle pulling on your breast which feel full prior to feeding and empty after (4) the fact that she has gained 800g means that she is feeding
When you feed her , let her feed for at least half hour, if she falls asleep when feeding gently wake her by rubbing her toes and feet,
If the 3-4 hour time has passed and she is due a feed ,wake her, if it is difficult just put her on the breast, gently rub the side of her mouth (this stimulates the sucking response) and she will start to nurse, let her nurse on for 30 mins to 45 mins at least.
Either alternate breasts with each feed or divide the time in half per breast.

If you still have concerns regarding her weight, sleeping then you should consider taking her to see her pediatrician for a check up

i hope this helps
Follow-up: Baby passes stools after every feed. Liquid stools with seeds. Stomach upset? 20 minutes later
Thanks doctor.

You are welcome, good luck with your baby