Baby makes hoarse cry, no fever, other wise normal sound. Should I express concern?

my 9 week old baby has had a hoarse cry for about a week. he does not have a fever, is a happy baby in general. he does spit up after eating (breast-fed) but it doesn't seem to bother him. he is making other sounds... but they are not hoarse, only when he cries which is not that often. Should I be concerned or will this resolve itself???
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some recommendations in light of what is going on with your son.

I am confident that his symptoms will improve over time.

I suspect his hoarseness may stem from spitting up feedings. This causes a mild degree of irritation of the upper airway and throat. This is commonly caused by the baby eating a bit to much with feedings.

In order to address this, I recommend you decrease the length of his feedings. Sometimes when the baby's stomach becomes distended with milk or food it will trigger belching and spitting up. Limiting the quatity of each feeding will generaly improve this within 10 days. You might shorten the feeding time and perhaps feed him a couple of more times per day.

Again, I am confident that this will resolve over time with this minor adjustment.

The only other consideration would be that, he has a mild allergy to something. If you have animals such as cats or dogs, make sure the environment around the baby is clean of hair or dander which can cause irritation of the throat.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.