Baby hyperventilating after crying, on long car trip, breast fed

Our baby is on a long car trip with only one adult in car and the baby is hyperventilating after crying, it is only my wife in the car and the baby! The baby is Four months old. my wife is pulling over every 10 minutes! Is it ok to let the baby cry or what to do! She is on a 7 Hour trip alone! Breast feed baby, doesn't take bottle or pacifier
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 23 minutes later

The baby is just four months old. It may not be accustomed to the car drive. It may be the first time that the baby is going on a long journey of 7 hours. It is obvious that the baby would have felt out of place and something not seen before.

I do not think there is something seriously wrong with the baby.

It is common for any baby to hyperventilate after crying due to increased oxygen demand by the brain.

If the baby is only hyperventilating after crying, it is still fine.

Please ask your wife to feed the baby completely before she starts driving again. Therefore, that she can drive for a stretch of two hours minimum. She and the baby can take breaks as needed.

Make sure that everything else is fine with the baby.

I do not think anything has to be done now.

Please do write back for further queries that you may have.

Wish your wife and the baby, happy and safe journey.