Ask a Urologist   »  

Baby having soreness on penis and redness under the foreskin. Can I use timodine on penis?

Question
My 20month old sons penis is very sore, he keeps pulling it, when I checked it (he wa asleep he wouldn't let me near it whilst he was awake!) it's red under the foreskin and also on the outside too, I think he's itching it.
The gp gave me timodine but am unsure as to whether I can use it on his penis. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXX,
I am sorry to hear about your son. It appears he has got infection of the fore skin and glans penis. Your GP is right please use timodine as it can be caused by both bacterial and fungal infection. Timodine contains antifungal Nystatin, and an anti bacterial Benzalkonium cloride and hydrocotisone which is anti inflammatory.
I am sure your child will be better soon.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Kindest regards
Dr.S.K.Mukherjee

Follow-up: Baby having soreness on penis and redness under the foreskin. Can I use timodine on penis? 10 hours later
Thank you so much for your response. Hopefully this will work as it appears he's in discomfort when passing urine aswell. Do you think it's with me taking him back to the gp for a review?
Thanks again dr!
XXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 56 minutes later
Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for writing back. I think it will be quite right thing to do to take him to GP. Please collect a sample of urine and give it to GP for culture and sensitivity. He may need systemic antibiotics.

Give your child plenty of fluids for hydration and paracetamol syrup for pain and discomfort.

I hope he will get better soon. A strange coincidence, I am answering from UK from Whitworth near Rochdale. I used to practice in Stockport.

Kindest regards
Dr. SKMukherjee.

Follow-up: Baby having soreness on penis and redness under the foreskin. Can I use timodine on penis? 5 hours later
Hi there, just a quick update for you. I took XXXXXXX to the walk in centre. He ha been diagnosed with balanitis. He has been given clotrimazole cream.
Thanks again much appreciated. Please enjoy your weekend.
Thanks again
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 28 minutes later
Dear XXXXXX
Thanks for getting back. If you have no more questions, please close this discussion.
Dr. Mukherjee