Baby having increased frequency of stools. Could this be due to teething?

Pediatrician
Question
My 4.5 month old baby has had runny poo for about a week and a half now he goes twice a day but previously only went once a day! Could this be teething? He is a bit grizzly but dosent seem to be sick and is feeding normally, should I take him to the doctors?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Your baby is having increased frequency of stools which could be viral in nature or at times due to teething there is irritation in gums for which baby puts everyting in mouth which could be source if infection. Most important is to maintain and monitor hydration. Now since he is only passing 2times a day,there is nothing to worry. You can give probiotic for few days.. Contine with breastfeeding. Hand washing should be done regularly. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question. Wishing your baby good health. God bless..

Follow-up: Baby having increased frequency of stools. Could this be due to teething? 5 hours later
So if it is viral theres nothing you can do but wait until it passes? Or If it is teething will the loose stools be an ongoing thing?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Actually due to teething also it will be there only in initial period as irritation will settle in few days So there is nothing to worry. But as I said wash his friends frequenty.. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further question. Take care...